French presses have been around for almost a century. As such, there are a lot of french presses available in the market.
You may know that french presses are typically used for making coffee but they are also made for brewing tea. To brew tea with a french press, simply add tea leaves to the French press, pour in the hot water and cover with the lid. Once it is completely steeped, just press the tea leaves to the bottom, just like you would with the coffee grounds for coffee.
Despite its popularity and its versatility, french press prices have been particularly low. A high-end french press could cost upwards of $50, but a simple french press could cost as low as $15. In this article, we cover the best 5 french presses that could be found online to purchase, and why they are some of the top picks around.
Best French Press Overall: Coffee Gator – Large French Press Coffee Maker – Vacuum Insulated Stainless Steel
Here are some of the things we liked about the Coffee Gator French Press.
- The insulation technology from Gator Coffee keeps the coffee warm for a longer duration of time. The double layer vacuum technology slows down heat loss and keeps your brew hot for 60 minutes longer than average.
- Durability: Since it isn’t made of glass, it doesn’t break as easily.
- Design: The Gator press is uniquely designed to stop coffee grounds but allows for coffee oils to drip into your cup. Grinds are hardly trapped in the press.
- Versatility in color: There are 6 colors to choose from – green, grey, orange, pink, red and stainless steel
- Huge capacity: It’s got a whopping 34 fl oz capacity, so you can make cups of coffee with this french press.
- Portable: Since it is not made of glass, the Coffee Gator is travel friendly!
Best Stainless Steel French Press: Secura SFP-17DS Stainless Steel French Press Coffee Maker
- Insulation: Since it is stainless steel, we’ve found that the Secura keeps the temperature of the coffee hot for a longer duration of time.
- Capacity: The Secura comes in 3 different sizes, which are 17 ounces, 34 ounces and 50 ounces. I really like the fact that Secura provides three different sizes as an option for single-cup coffee drinkers or for those intending to share.
- Great filter structure: Since Secura has a 3-layered stainless steel filter structure, the french press traps the smallest coffee grounds to produce a full-bodied flavor. Additionally, the removable filter makes it very easy to clean.
- Incredible price: At this time, it’s $25 on Amazon with Prime, which is a great money saver overtime.
- Dishwasher Safe: Everything included with the Secura is completely dishwasher safe, so washing this french press was an easy task.
Best Glass French Press: KONA French Press Coffee Maker With Reusable Stainless Steel Filter, Large Comfortable Handle & Glass Protecting Durable Black Shell
- Protective Shell: Personally, I dislike glass french presses due to the fact that they can break. However, KONA is probably your safest bet as the protective shell will shield you from any glass damages that may occur.
- Great design: The screen fits to a tee. As a result, the coffee grounds do not slip around the edges. In addition, the plastic cap has a secondary screen to catch escaping coffee grounds right at the spout.
- Two capacities available: There is a 17 oz and a 34 oz available for one person coffee drinkers or those who brew coffee for their loved ones.
- Easy to Clean: KONA is dishwasher machine safe. The detachable stainless steel filter screen system makes this french press easy to clean.
Best French Press for Traveling: AeroPress Coffee and Espresso Maker
- Quick cup of coffee: Coffee is ready in less than 50 seconds.
- Easy Cleanup: Dump the coffee grounds into the trash after (just make sure to aim properly into the trash can).
- Portable and lightweight: The items are all you see in the image plus coffee grounds to make a cup of coffee.
- Strong brew: Since the AeroPress uses gravity to pull the water out from the coffee grounds, the Aeropress produces a strong cup of coffee. You can dilute the solution if needed.
- Serving: Serves 1-3 cups, so perfect for those who aren’t looking to make too much coffee in one sitting.
- Want to read our full review of the Aeropress? Find it here!
Best Bodum French Press: Bodum Brazil French Press Coffee and Tea Maker
- Full disclaimer: Although I do not really like Bodum french presses as much as the ones above, I wanted to add this to my list as Bodum has been a really well known brand name product in french press and coffee. I will also be listing why I prefer the options above in this section as well.
- Affordable: At less than $20 on Amazon Prime, you’ll be able to own a brand name product that’s been well known in the coffee industry for decades.
- Makes a perfect cup of coffee: The french press mechanism for Bodum is fantastic, as it lives up to its name. The seal for the screen fits perfectly on this model, so coffee grounds don’t leak through.
- Small version is compact: At 17 oz, the smaller version is great for making coffee in the office.
- What I don’t like about it: Bodum’s french presses are great if you are not a clumsy person. However, the glass is extremely fragile and it will shatter easily. If you do plan on purchasing a Bodum, handle with care!
Honorable Mention: Caffe Britt’s 2-Cup French Press
- Caffe Britt’s 2-Cup French Press measures exactly 2 cups of coffee.
- Their french press receives an honorable mention because of its sturdiness and is a great size for travel.
- Caffe Britt’s french press comes with a measuring spoon that will help you prepare your morning coffee.